Sunday, December 9, 2007

Boredom at work = Mutant Christmas Projects

It's a general rule at work that you never say things like "It's been slow today" or "Mighty quiet around here" or yadda, yadda, yadda. But, my gosh...it's been slow lately. (I want all of you to know that by saying/typing this outloud I have just cursed myself with 17 rollover accidents, 3 heart attacks, 4 broken bones and 47 "I've had a cold for 6 weeks but tonight, at 2am, I decided to come in and be seen.")
Anyway, on Thursday night we were slow/quiet/bored and got looking at fun Christmas project. I was showing the girls the baggie wreaths and one of our doctors said something about the cool "plastic cup globe light" that his neighbors gave him last year. Of course, we had to see it, so we googled it for hours (it was only about 6.5 minutes but when you're bored it feels like that long) and decided we would each make a couple to take home and surprise our kids with. We sent the most bored nurse out to gather supplies (OK, she wasn't the most bored...she's the only one with access to a dremel tool so she won by default) and anxiously awaited project hour.
She returned slightly less successful than we'd hoped. The project calls for 9 oz. cups but apparently everyone in town decided to make the same ball because there wasn't a single package of 9 oz. cups in all of Wal-Mart. She's quite the crafty thing so she settled on what had to be 2 oz. cups and just figured our balls would be smaller than the average balls. (heehee...I have to laugh a little at that one)
The original directions we were following said to connect 9 cups in a circle for the first layer. Our first layer ended up with something like 24 cups. Seeing as how the supply list had only called for 50 lights for the ENTIRE ball, we knew we were in trouble. We kept plugging away and ended up with what looked an awful lot like this sweet lamp my mom had in the late 70's.
Long story short, our lamp mutated. It's officially 4 times bigger than it was supposed to be (we used 200 cups and 200 lights) and therefore bigger than any one of us wanted hanging in our homes (we have standards, ya know?).
It is now the Nurse's Station Ball. It's big, a little awkward, looks more like an egg than a ball and required some serious reinforcing to ensure it didn't pull the ceiling tiles off but I LOVE IT. I'm so proud of my little 3am project even though everyone that walks by it looks at it with a little sideways glance, unsure of what, exactly, it's supposed to be.
Please enjoy my pics and THEN take a look at this website to see how cute they could be. There's even instructions (although we didn't use the soldering iron or whatever it is they suggest, we just stapled the cups together - perhaps another factor in the mutany???).



My odd shaped, tenticle growing sparkle ball. (Notice the 'N' in tenticle, not 'S')

Me, so very proud of my tenticle growing sparkle ball.

By the way, I thought I should mention, that due to the making of this entry, I have had elbow pain, hand lacerations, chest pain and croup walk through my door at an otherwise "dead" hour. I'm telling you, the curse lives.

26 awesome people said...:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics. You are a riot!

Hollyween said...

Wow. I'm impressed. And I love your new bloggy format with the train. It's almost as creative as your great big testicle ball. Er, I mean tenticle.

Brooke said...

Nice ball, you must have really been looking for something to do. I have seen those in some peoples trees and they are really cool!

KATE said...

I love your ball! Wow! I love the new look of your blog too! It actually threw me off, cuz I'm a bit of a retard.
How fun, I'm glad you could keep busy at work. And, of course the "curse" lives on! Speaking of croup, have you guys had much RSV down there? Brooke had it a few weeks ago & when I had her in this last week, the doc said she still sounds "rattly".
I'm glad you could have fun at work, but we REALLY missed you yesterday!!!

lindsey said...

That is awesome! Now you have a new Christmas tradition.

I really like your new layout. And thank goodness you used the "n" instead of the "s". I mean this is a family blog, right? ha!

Lisa-Marie said...

I love the light ball. My grandparents have had one for years. I wonder what other crazy shiny creations we could come up with? I'm sure we could fashion something with tin foil. What do you say?!?!?

And thanks for the link!

Raymond said...

What the heck?! I need one of those!!

Spammon said...

I've never even heard of this sparkle ball until now. I'm digging on it. They look like they could be an alien testicles (you knew that was coming, and I wasn't the first this time). I already know that if I made one of these I would end up burning down the house. When we get bored at work we hide someones keyboard, keys, wallet, phone etc...and leave notes that lead to an extravagant treasure hunt around the office. I guess I have something new to try.

KATE said...

Holy Cow, you changed it again! I like it! How did you do it? I'm so computer stupid, but everyone has cute blogs! I love it! I especially love the polka dots!!

D-dawg said...

I LOVE the ball! You are so crafty. I could never make that. I want to hear more nurse stories... that all sounds so interesting to me.

Thanks for the Ellen tip. If I could win a trip to the show with Lexi's alien photo I would be in heaven! Too bad Dave would kill me. I'll have to talk to him.

Paige said...

Someone should do a post about white trash decorations. Maybe Celia because she buys all hers at the dollar store and throw 'em out.

AMY said...

Paige-
please feel free to copy a picture of my sparkle ball as the first entry in the PWT (poor white trash) christmas contest.

crystal said...

Oh, you gotta be kidding me! I love your ball! I love your tenticle!....

....wait. Why does that sound dirty?

Nortorious said...

Yes, your blog looks good. But can I make a constructive comment? I can't really read the text because of the blue swirlies. Can you maybe make the text larger or darker?
The ball looks great. Very crafty.

The UnMighty said...

I feel like you beat me to the punch because I was going to do a blog about "sparkley balls" as well. Of course mine wasn't about Christmas decorations but it doesn't matter now.

blog author said...

oooooooh!!! pretty! :)

Christie said...

For some reason I couldn't see the ball, but I'll keep trying. I'm sure it was awesome. Anything made sober at 3 a.m. is bound to be full of awesomeness.

Cecily R said...

AMy, you are so GREAT! Love the mutant project and your pleased-with-yourself picture!

You have one nice ball!

lindsey said...

Props on the new layout!

AMY said...

Nor-
Thanks for the heads up on the text. I will work on that today.
UnMighty-
Don't stop on my behalf. Everyone loves a sparkley ball story.
Stie-
I'm so sorry you can't see the ball! No idea what the problem is there. I'll send you a pic personally cuz I know your day will not be complete until you see it.

Camden said...

Can I just say that I remember 3a.m.-and sober-projects with you. A few last minute homework binges come to mind. I'm having vague memories of middle-of-the-night rice crispy treats with Chad and Seth? Maybe, very vague. I remember having to read the recipe several times because I had never made them before. Something like the mutant sparkle ball. I love your project but I also love the real things! Very cool. Who knew so mush merriness could be had with clear plastic cupss!

Bridget said...

Oh, I remember that curse so well. You never utter those words "what slow night its been". You're doomed. Way to turn that boredom into a crafty project. The nurses I worked with and I solved many a world problem at 3am. Along with playing lots of practical jokes on each other too.

Jessica said...

Nor is so the blog police! (And has anyone noticed and gossiped rudely about the fact that I seem to be incapable of mustering up the energy to make my blog all fancy?)

Maybe it needs one of those balls...

Jill said...

That is hilarious...I am a nurse too and we would have code words when it was a "quiet night" instead of actually saying it. Are you in the ER? I haven't worked at all this year since moving and it has been soooooo nice. I love sleeping at night, but still sleep during the day. Forever screwed up. But, I do miss the work scene at times and watching movies, gabbing all night and eating crap to stay awake. Fabulous project. It's really pretty cool! I'm going to go google it now :)

Celia Fae said...

Amy, I love your balls. And I love the thought of all you highly educated professionals sitting around crafting that hideous thing. Perhaps you could send it to the Grey's Anatomy set. They need some Christmas Cheer.

OHmommy said...

"ooooh.... pretty, lights"
comment by my daughter

"is that a sea urchin? that ball thingy"
comment by my 5 year old

"baaa baaaa baaaa"
my 9 month old

I think she just said her first word. Ball. Baaaalllll, while checking out your blog. Thanks for the visuals.

Love your new layout. Pretty