Monday, November 26, 2007

I Hate UPS (and other such shippers at Christmas)

I'm having a waz with UPS today. Well, right at this moment, actually. I was just getting ready to sit down and check out the ole blog for the first time since the holiday when my door bell rings - twice. I figure it's my cleaning ladies, bless their little hearts. They never knock even though they ALWAYS come during nap time. But that is neither here nor there. My door bell rings twice so I run to the front door in an effort to keep whomever from ringing a third or fourth time. But, what a second...no one is there! Is someone door bell ditching me in the middle of the afternoon? Are we in third grade again? And just as I'm closing the door, (eyeing all my neighbors front blinds to try and catch a snickering prankster) the UPS girl peels out of my driveway and down the street. I'm a little peeved that she didn't wait for me to answer, but giddy all the same as I'm anticipating this to be my first Christmas delivery. I've been faithfully tracking all of my purchases for days now as 90% of my Christmas shopping was done online this year.

So, I skamper through my house and out to the garage, wondering which shipment I get to dig through first. I click the garage door opener and see two boxes. One tidy little brown box, anonymous and intact. I figure this one to be my christmas cards. (Yay! It's after Thanksgiving so I can send them out tomorrow!!! Wahoo! And then post one here, of course.)
But then I take a good look at the second box. This is what I saw.









Please notice the condition of the box. I did nothing to this box before I took these pictures. I wish I had a way to add audio for you all, t00, (remember, I'm a bloginner) so you could hear what I heard as I moved the box around. It sounds like a set of broken dishes. And you can't see it in these pics, but there is actually a screw sticking out of the bottom of the box. Gee, I wonder how many more of those managed to escape during transit?

The other thing I would like you all to take note of is the non-anonymity of this box. Hello? Is it not Christmas? Could we not all assume that this might be a Christmas Present? What in the world is UPS Girl doing leaving this in broad daylight? I mean, if she thought I wasn't home, how would placing it right in front of the garage I come and go by be the safest place? The box is as big as my child. Do we really think she wouldn't notice it?


I'm at a loss here. I had no intention of setting this thing up right away, for obvious reasons (such as where to store a fully assembled kitchen where four little snoopies wouldn't find it or notice it draped under a large sheet). But now, I almost have to, just to be sure all the pieces are there. I mean, I can just hear the expletives coming out of Hubby's mouth in the wee hours of Christmas morning when he's looking for one last screw that fell out somewhere between here and Taiwan (or wherever the dang thing hails from).

Or, do I call Costco and ask them to please send a replacement right away, just in case? And can I demand it be wrapped in pillows before shipping? What to do? Can I refuse a package based solely on the condition of the box, even though UPS Girl has already come and gone? UGGHHH. This was the one gift I was THE most excited about. I should have know it would inevitably turn out to be my biggest headache.



15 awesome people said...:

KATE said...

I'm so with ya on the stupid shipping companies! They really are retarded! Sorry!
I would probably send it back & make them replace it!
Love your blog!!

KATE said...

I love the pix of your kids. They are gorgeous!!

Cecily R said...

New one, new one, new one!!!!! As my sister would say as she stamped her foot, "Dummies!"

Christie said...

That is pretty bad. And how jealous am I that you have ANY portion of your Christmas shopping done? I am so behind this year, it hurts.

D-dawg said...

WOW! That is the worst! I would be SO annoyed with the UPS woman for leaving it right there! And the condition of the box is ridiculous. It looks like it has been in the mail for years. I would try calling them or driving it in if you can. I think Costco is good about replacing things. Seriously that is so lame. Good luck hiding that thing too! Maybe try a friends garage?!?

lindsey said...

You have a cleaning lady!!! I am so jealous right now.

That box is in bad shape. Costco is good about returns, you shouldn't have to be stuck with a broken Christmas gift.

I wish you better luck with all your shipments!

Celia Fae said...

Come leave it in my garage. I already have a Dora power wheels hiding there.

I think I'd make the UPS lady come back and get the item. Leave her a frownie face note.

Celia Fae said...

WHY were you on Oprah? Everyone wants to know. Don't keep us in the dark any longer.

Cort and Amy said...

Amy,
Costco is AWESOME about replacing things. If you ever order anything online, I know you can take it back to the store and exchange it or return it, no questions asked. I would call Costco about it. I'm sure they would be pretty cool to work with.

The UnMighty said...

You should drive it to the closest COSTCO, set it in front of the door, knock twice, and peel away.
That'll teach 'em.

Cecily R said...

Sooo. What are you going to do?

Brooke said...

I can't believe that box was so bad. I would be mad too! We get so much stuff from UPS and have never had anything look like that. Good luck! Gracie will love that though! Lindsay still plays with her kitchen and it has been two years this Christmas.

KATE said...

Amy! I'm so laughing at the comment you left on my blog! I'm so loving you!
I say yay, lets toast some Diet Cokes girl!
You are so cracking me up! I can't tell ya how much I love real people! Thanks!!

Amz said...

Oooooo! I hate that! I ordered most of the presents this year online, as well...sure hope that don't pull something like this. Your blog is great BTW! I found you through Christie's blog. Blogging question for you: How did you get the picture of the train to stay that size (at the top of your blog??? I have tried everything to insert my picture at the top like that and it ends up HUGE! Do you have any tips for me?? Thanks!

OHmommy said...

Ahh, we have the same kitchen set. It took some time to assemble. We love it though. I think I have a picture of it in my playroom on my blog post "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph."

Hope she loves it!