Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Once upon an Oprah tale

First of all, thanks for all the tips and comments from my last post. Costco is sending a new kitchen and UPS still sucks. On a brighter note, DHL came today with 9 boxes (9 very large boxes) and boy what a difference. DHL Boy rang my door bell (only once) waited till I answered (unheard of) and made sure I was the right customer (a first in shipper etiquette). Then he proceeded to tell me he had 9 very large boxes that he assumed were Christmas presents (what gave that away?) and asked me where I would like them unloaded (you're asking?). He loaded them methodically in my garage, storing the boxes with pictures in the back so the anonymous boxes covered them up. Then, THEN (are you sitting down?) he knocked again to make sure I was happy with where he'd set things. I wanted to hug him (though the B.O. force field he had up around him kept me at bay). I did, however, tell him my UPS Girl story and thanked him over and over for being so courteous. Go figure.



Now on to the goods. Some of you would like to know how I ended up on Oprah. Hubby is reading this right now and shuddering, I guarantee it. Oh well.

It happened like this. 9/11 hit and threw us all for a loop. I visited Oprah's site (I was a much bigger fan back then) and clicked a link that asked "How has 9/11 affected you?". I started typing, clicked send and never thought about it again. Three weeks later the first producer called to chat. A second producer called a day later to chat with Hubby. A week after that, an entire production crew flew into my tiny little town and shook things up!

It was an interesting experience, to say the least. The topic of the show was "What Matters Most". Apparently (I honestly can't remember what I wrote) my email had talked about how things in our marriage had been a little shaky and how I had taken my Hubby and kids for granted up until that tragedy. (If we're being honest though, who wouldn't have said something similar?) Anyway, once the producers got to our humble abode, they reminded me a bit of the Donahue show. They sort of fished for the answers they wanted and skipped over the stuff that wasn't juicy enough. By the time we'd finished taping our segment, Hubby and I were both feeling pretty uncomfortable about the whole thing but how do you call Oprah and say "Thanks, but no thanks!".

I think it was a week or so after that that we were to fly to Chicago (yes, our room was at the "All Suite Omni Hotel") but lo and behold, we got stuck in some crazy weather in Denver (the pilot called them 'microbursts') that kept us from landing until after our connecting flight to Chicago had departed. We ended up spending the night in an airport hotel (courtesy of "O") and watching our show at home the next afternoon. They still ran our segment, but we were spared the front row seat with Dr. Phil. (Oh yes, it was a Dr. Phil show. Can you imagine???) At the end of the taping, Oprah commented on my cute boys. That was the definite highlight.

So, there you have it. I never made it to the studio for our taping but 5 months later 3 girlfriends and I went to Chicago and the producer from our segment hooked us all up with front row seats to a taping. Ironically, it was a Dr. Phil show (all before he got his own).

Just so you know...I've never sent in another email to Oprah.
Oh, and for fun, here's the link to the show. I don't think any of the video works but if you click on the gallery, we're the 5th pic (I think). Notice how young #1 and 2 are (ooh they're soooo cute!). And check out my sweet hair. NOT Hubby's fave.

14 awesome people said...:

Celia Fae said...

Your kids are pretty cute. I bet Oprah's never seen any that good. Way cuter than dogs.

That was an excellent story. I can't believe you got on just with a simple email! And you dodged the Dr. Phil bullet. You are a lucky girl. You should take up gambling.

AMY said...

You're so right. They are so much cuter than the dogs. Although those dogs are probably much better behaved. What are you doing up at this hour BTW? You could become my new BBF (best blogging friend). I never get company in the middle of the noc!

Hollyween said...

Amy, I've seen you on Celia's... and I HAD to hear your Dr. Phil story. I think you mentioned on Lorena's that you were going to share. I love Oprah, but I'm with you... NO ONE wants to be on a Dr. Phil show. Ick! And I like your hair better now.

Oh, and your blog? Way cutely designed. I'll check in on you often...

KATE said...

I'm still laughing at your comments on my fat girl blog & I'm totally rolling on the floor from your comment on Cecilys 100th post! I love your random fact about yourself. We HAVE to be friends! ha ha ha

Wow, Oprah huh! Rock on, I'm on my way to check out the show!

KATE said...

Wow, your boys were tiny then & adorable! Your hair was way way different! Holy cow, way different. You're so cute!

lindsey said...

Now I can say that I know someone famous!

I love that you can get away with any hair style! Count your blessings on that, some of us can't ;). Judging by your profile pic I like it the way you have it now.

Audry said...

That's a cool story. Your kids are pretty darn cute.

D-dawg said...

I'm dying over this! I can't believe your email got you on Oprah. It must have been so good. But to have them come and change things up a bit? That would make me mad. It is probably good you didn't make it there in person. Cute picture of your family.

Christie said...

Wow, I had no idea you were a pseudo-celebrity. I feel special now. I would DIE if I had to be on that front row with Dr. Phil. You lucked out, girlfriend.

AMY said...

Yes, I think it was a total blessing that we had microbursts keep our plane from landing until just the right moment. How often does that happen? And Hubby agrees with you all on the hairstyle. I crave change - my hair is actually already different from my profile pic and that was taken in Sept! (It was extensions...I cheated!) If I posted every time I changed my hair I wouldn't talk about anything else! And yes, you have a pseudo celeb in your midst. This is kinda like my tabloid! Hehe.

lindsey said...

I forgot to tell you... I have the same problem when I run ;)

blog author said...

i sent a letter into the dr phil show once. it was right after he got his own show....before it got so jerry springer-ish like it is now. they had something on their site like "do you use different fighting styles in your marriage" and i thought, yes, i do. i'm passive aggressive and he just yells at anything. so i wrote in, and like 2 weeks later i got a call. they asked me to send in a photo bc they have certain 'requirements' for how their guests look on tv. (seriously? that's horrible.) but i sent one in anyway, they said yes, and then, before things could go any further, i backed out. couldn't fathom being on dr phil having him pick apart my life in front of the world.

glad i dodged that bullet.

lindsey said...

I am so glad that you were interested in my ringtone making.

Most people say "neat" and shrug it off. They are probably thinking, why not just pay the $0.99 for a tone.

I use Cool Edit Pro to cut the songs and then I upload them to my phone. Its great.

Spammon said...

I HATE Oprah...there, I said it. I know I'm alone in the world when I say that. She hates men and makes us look bad.