Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Humorless Artichoke Dip

Although I have not had any major disasters or mishaps in my life in the last 12 hours or so, I am still recuperating from recent events (see previous post) and therefore short on wit. (As in witty, wit's end, etc.)
But in an effort to brighten someone else's day today (I'm all about thinkin' of others, after all...) I will post one of my favorite (especially this time of year) recipes.
(Please do not shudder or guffaw ((really always wanted to use that word)) at the thought of a tricky or complicated recipe. This is coming from someone whose idea of "cooking" involves a box of Hamburger Helper and a can of corn.)
This recipe is best made in a large pot on the stove, then transferred to a crock pot for serving.

  • Start by sauteing a family size bag of chopped, frozen spinach in butter and garlic. You can also add shallots, but seeing as how I didn't even know what a shallot was when I first started making this stuff, I never have and I like it just the same.
  • Add two cans of artichoke hearts. (I like to chop mine before I add them as they're pretty large.)
  • When the green stuff is warm, add a package of soft garlic and herb cheese. I prefer Alouette brand. (I've found it at Wal-Mart and Albertsons.)
  • Stir it all together until the cheese is melted. Add a pint of heavy whipping cream and a 6 oz. bag of shredded parmesan cheese. Stir until the parmesan is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to a crock pot and serve with your favorite tortilla chips or toast. This recipe makes a TON. Plenty for a large party, or, if you're like me, lunch everyday for a month.

WARNING: Do not attempt to figure the calorie/fat content of this recipe as there is no calculator sophisticated enough to handle these types of numbers.
WARNING PART 2: Excessive consumption of this recipe has been known to cause wretched gas. Use in moderation.

14 awesome people said...:

Hollyween said...

I like how you added that it causes gas. I wish someone would have told me that about Fiber One bars.

I really must try this. Ya know, on a weekend when I typically splurge on such things like this that I know once I dip in I'll have no self control over it...

Nortorious said...

Can I make this in place of dinner, or does it have to be a side dish?

lattemommy said...

Oh my - I gained 5 lbs just reading that! Non-fat, no-whip for sure tomorrow...

lindsey said...

First of all how could you ever feel short on wit. That is impossible.

I love Artichoke dips. I will make sure not to run after I eat this one!

D-dawg said...

Yum. Thank you.

KATE said...

Yum, I can't wait to try it!! Thanks for the Wretched Gas Warning! I'll tuck that away! ha ha

Spammon said...

This stuff sounds like the devil. I usually end up eating these types of dips until I am completely stuffed. Forget dinner, BRING ON THE DIP!

Christie said...

Yes, this dip will completely remove me from the healthy-eating wagon. In fact, the wagon just ran over me because I'm laying comatose after eating all this myself. Which is what will happen if I make this.

And I WILL be making it.

Bridget said...

I'm with Holly, Fiber One bars have been banned from our house. Ethan gets the worst diarrhea from those.

That does look way yummy. With two kinds of cheese and butter, how can it not be good?

Anonymous said...

I still love the wit!!!

The UnMighty said...

Being a staunch member of the "Can't Cook Kitchen Haters" I have little interest in the recipes, but I really appreciated your use of "guffaw." Thank you for that.

lindsey said...

I'm dying for a new Amy post!

blog author said...

the calories in this don't count if you eat it with a Diet Coke. i SWEAR! same thing goes for a Big Mac.

crystal said...

Oh, I'm totally making this sometime this week.

Ahem, thanks for the gas-alert. Duly noted.