Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sunday Synopsis (of the last 3 weeks!)

First of all...thanks to all my friends for continuing to check my blog and comment during my little hiatus. Life got so crazy as we got closer to Christmas and something had to give. This was it! But things are settling and I've missed all of you and so here we go. My last three weeks...
First of all, many thanks to The Kirnancrib for my white elephant gift. Her poem indicated it would help to clean up a stained reputation and boy does it ever! Nothing says Merry Christmas like a Tide Stain Roller. Thanks and let's be sure to do that again next year. It was a blast!
I also got to do a gift exchange with Adrianne who lives in Argentina. I was SOOOO excited to get authentic Dulce de Leche from her! I LOVE Dulce de Leche ice cream and hot chocolate, etc. and am thrilled to have the real stuff! Thank you Adrianne!!

Now for a quick recap of my crazy life.

  • Shortly after my last post, #3 cut #4's hair for the SECOND time. Yes, you read that right. This time, he took off all the hair on the top of her head along her part. She has a cowlick on that side so her hair always parts right there. I would have gotten a pic but 1.)I was too furious to even think about a photo-op and 2.)her hair is so fine I don't think a camera would pick it up. From a distance, you can't tell. I didn't notice until I found the pile of hair in the kitchen. #3 got in enough trouble this time. I'm pretty sure he won't be doing that again. (Not to mention he'd need some serious scaffolding to get to the scissors now.)
  • #1 had 3 different concerts with his band. He's really getting into it and even sings backup loud enough to be heard! I am the dorkiest mom sitting there with my perma-grin on. I'm glad there's lights in his eyes so he can't see me. He'd be so embarrassed! Although he's amazing on the guitar, we need to work on his moves a little bit. He wasn't born to dance.
  • Christmas was wonderful. I don't know what I'd do without my kids. They make the holiday. #4 was everything a child should be at Christmas. My boys get excited but are pretty restrained in showing their emotion most of the time. #4 was excited about everything from the biggest gifts to the smallest chapsticks in her stocking and wasn't afraid to show it. As much as she tries me, I'm so grateful for that little girl!
  • My parents came down and spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with us. Our parents take turns coming for our Christmas Eve tradition and this year was their turn. I love having the grandparents with us on Christmas morning! I worked a few hours Christmas Day and then we headed south to the in-laws.
  • We spent almost a week at the in-laws which is quite a long time for us these days. When our kids were babies we'd stay with our parents most of the holiday but the last few years we've kept our visits pretty short so the kids can enjoy some of their break with their friends, too. It was really nice to stay down there this year. Life runs at a slower pace when we visit. They don't have internet access at their house though which is another reason for my hiatus.
  • While at the in-laws I got a crazy stomach bug that lasted two days and ended up in the ER for 3 liters of fluid and anti-nausea meds. On the plus side, I consider everything I ate over the week between Christmas and New Years to be negative calories!
  • I got to spend my birthday in St. George where the weather was a balmy 53 degrees. Hubby followed me up and down every aisle at Target and never complained. He also followed me around the mall and let me buy TWO pair of shoes when I'd only planned on one. He didn't say a word when we went into AE for a pair of jeans for him and walked out with a cute little sweat suit for me (and no jeans). He even let me pick Cold Stone for lunch and didn't crack any jokes when I got the big size. It was a good day.
  • The last two days of Christmas break I cleaned out and organized my basement. Without hubby. The WHOLE thing. He's tired of me reminding him of this little detail so I'll throw it in here (he'll read this and get one last jab). My dad helped me a TON the first day. I think it would have been way too overwhelming to even start if he hadn't jumped in and got to work. I'm happy to say my basement ROCKS! I finally have my food storage out of boxes!! (And realized most of it expired two years ago. Bummer.)
  • In Hubby's defense, Bowl Week has always been recognized as a sacred holiday at our house and asking him to be secluded in the basement without a TV would be like asking him to cut off his balls and hang them from a necklace around his neck.
  • I got my new King Size bed set up with my new comforter set (that I bought in June in anticipation of my new bed this Christmas!). It's the first time we've owned a King. And I'm thrilled to report that Hubby has yet to smack me in the face in the middle of the night during one of his sleep adventures. It's been heaven.
Thanks for sticking around and reading all of this (if you made it!) I know a lot of it is mundane and incredibly uninteresting for most of you but I justify this little hobby (obsession) by calling it my journal and most of that is relevant in journal-land.
Happy New Year!!


47 awesome people said...:

crystal said...

I'm so excited for you & your king size bed! Mike does that exact same thing: elbows, arms & hands in my face during whatever he's doing in his dreams.

And considering your description of the pain your man would suffer (nuts necklace) if he missed bowl week, I'm letting him off the hook for not helping you in the basement.

You ARE amazing, though, for doing it yourself! Was it a disaster?

I'm just in awe that you have food storage!

Cecily R said...

AMY! I'm so glad you are back!!! I was wondering where the only person I could comfortable run with was hiding!

Sorry about the hair cutting incident (again).

Glad you had such a great Christmas.

Sorry you got so stinkin' sick after Christmas.

Glad (and admittedly a little jealous) you got negative calories at least.

I'm so happy you're back!!!!!
Kate and I want to go to Park City soon. Are you up for it??

lattemommy said...

Good to have you back! Sounds like you had a successful holiday season, I'm glad. I have to comment on the pics of #4 on Christmas morning - so cute! My Princess had the same PJ's, I love them! And the retro kitchen set is great. I saw it at Costco and thought it was great, but the Princess already has a kitchen, and I couldn't justify a second one.

lindsey said...

I thought you were long gone. Glad you were just on hiatus. After reading the synopsis, I can see you really were busy, you are forgiven this time.

Can you take some pictures of your food storage, PLEASE! We are just starting a food storage and I want ideas.

D-dawg said...

That last picture of your kids is so cute. I'm glad you're back and it sounds like you had a good break. I am jealous of the king size bed. We are so squished in our queen and are dying for an upgrade!!

Ashley said...

I'm glad I could be of service. :) btw you are GORGEOUS.... your kids, too :)

Are You Serious! said...

I love the way you did you daughters hair in that last picture it's soooo cute! It sounds like you guys had a great Christmas! Sorry to hear that you got sick. So not fun! I hope you have a great new year!

Jessica said...

Just the other day, I was thinking, "Wait a minute, where has Amy been?!" Glad your back and am frankly jealous of your flu bug. There was one going around here and my thighs were really hoping I'd catch it. No long, now I'm doing the weight loss the hard way.

Rochelleht said...

Your pic of the kids on the stairs so SOOOOO cute!!! In addition to the cute kids, the actual stairs are also quite lovely. :-) I'm about to re-do my banister in iron, too. I'm super excited.

blog author said...

welcome back! we missed you!

your time in st george sounds fabulous. you definitely have a patient and loving husband :)

the kids are adorable.

happy new year!

Christie said...

You were missed, bloggy friend. Glad to have you back.

We were JUST talking about getting a king-sized bed. I want one so that when he rolls over in the night and bumps me, he remembers there's a woman in his bed...you know what that means. I'd like to sleep through the night and that's why I'm requesting a king. TMI? Probably. Oh well.

Claremont First Ward said...

Skipped over from Cecily's blog. I love the colors and design in your blog layout, and I have a special place in my heart for stay-at-home, work-at-night as a nurse moms. One of my favorite friends does this, and I spent 10 weeks in the hospital being cared for at night by fabulous moms like you, and I'm so grateful.

Audry said...

King size beds are the best. I love mine. Sounds like you had a good holiday.

Spammon said...

Who is this? The owner of this blog went M.I.A.

We can only hope that one day when you are sleeping #3 will cut your hair.

That's impressive he can play the guitar. All I can play is Guitar Hero.

Porter had the stomach flu and gave it to Lindsey, who in turn gave it to me. Now I know where it came from...THAT FISH!

Bridget said...

Wow, great to have you back!! That was a long hiatus. Don't do that to us again.

And I love that pink kitchen set your daughter has! Is that the one from Pottery Barn?

Lisa-Marie said...

When I saw you had commented on my blog, I was so excited to know that you were back. (Not just to comment on my blog. Just glad that you are BACK!) Glad that you are back for priceless comments such as, the balls necklace. I can't wait until #4 is about 12, reads her mom's old blog posts and reads THAT! You might have a little explaining to do!!!!

Hollyween said...

The ball necklace. Priceless. My husband is always saying that I "bust his balls" so now I'll tell him I'll make a necklace out of them too! Oh, and if you want to be grossed out, I got an e-mail from a guy in some far off country who's balls were hanging to his ankles. It was so horrific and I can't get it out of my head!

But back to YOU... glad you're back from hiatus. I GET that sometimes you need a hiatus from blogging. Sorry you got sick, but jealous of the minus calories even though you don't look like you even need minus calories because you're so skinny. The haircutting incident. YIKES. I'm going to hide scissors permanently from my daughter and son so nothing like that happens to her precious hair. Loved the Christmas pics!

Hollyween said...

I have to correct something on my comment. My e-mail wasn't FROM the guy with the hanging balls. It was ABOUT the guy with the hanging balls. My sick-o friend sent it to me.

I think I've said balls one too many times. Am I outlawed?

AMY said...

Lisa-Marie, good point. I better sensor that one when I print this off!
Spammon- what did you expect from a petrified fish...sanitation??
Linds- I'm so flattered you'd like a pic! It's coming, just for you!
Bridget- it's not the set from PB. The PB one has one more item and costs like $600. This one is Costco and less than $300. Other than that, they're identical. LOVE IT! Maybe even more than #4 does!!
Stie- Sooooo get you. Exactly why we went King. Once you go King, you'll never go back. It ROCKS!
Angie- welcome and thanks for the nice words! People like you make my job worth it!!! (Unlike some of the patients I had last night, but that's a different story!)
And everyone else...thanks for making it feel soooo good to be back! It's nice to be loved!

The UnMighty said...

I don't believe any husband is as sweet as you're making yours out to be during the shopping trip.
He must be saving up spouse points for something big he's got planned.

Celia Fae said...

Hi. I know I'm late, but I'm glad you are back, happy birthday, Christmas, and New Years. I need to know how old you are.

Tell me, wasn't the little break kind of nice? Next time you should warn us so we don't think you are dead.

Jen Hill said...

Happy New Year!

Your son plays in a band? That is the coolest thing ever! I would have a permagrin on my face too!

My girls have all wacked off their hair at different times. Generally when they are 3 and 4 years old. If I had a dollar everytime I have said, "Scissors are for paper, not your HAIR!" I would have at least 15 dollars, LOL!

crystal said...

Ok. I just read your comment on my Tues Tell All post. If I didn't love you, I'd hate you. (in a good way)

I think you'd better just email me your multi-colored, detail-oriented, super-organized JOB CHART. So I can recycle it & plug in my kids' names.

Why reinvent the wheel when someone else is brilliant? :)

Amz said...

Welcome back! I am so jealous of your King bed...I've been begging for years!

crystal said...

I forgot to mention that I LOVE the new look of your blog! How do you do it? Blog secrets, please.

Brooke said...

Nice short Christmas entry! That is one way to catch up fast. I have so much to blog about and not enough time. I guess one day I will finally catch up! I just have way to much to say and way to many pictures to post to do a fast catch up!
BTW loved the picture of the kids!

KATE said...

I'm glad you had a good Holiday! Sorry to hear about your tummy bug. I heard about ALOT of people who ended up with similar crap! Yuck!!
We got our Kind Size bed last year & I LOVE it!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! How fun! I wanna a pic of your new comforter! How fun!!
I LOVED your "cuts his balls off & wear them around his neck"! That is hilarious!!

KATE said...

Hey cutie, I meant to tell ya how cute the new blog design is! I love it, so so cute!!

Celia Fae said...

Where are you? Come back to us. What, do you think you have a life?

Jill said...

Welcome back...I am still behind too!
Merry late Christmas and Happy late Bday!!
I can't believe you are just now getting a king bed. You are a tough woman to survive that long without it! They are heaven.
Your hair is ADORABLE!! love it.

blog author said...

post again soon! we miss you and your wit :)
hope all is well!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Cute blog, found you by snooping around at others. I was in St. George this last weekend to run a half marathon, the weather was super nice. Here in Vernal it is about 1 degree when we wake up. YUCK

Spammon said...

Hello? *knock knock*. 3 week synopsis's' arent working.

Lisa-Marie said...

Hey...Where are you? I've missed you and your funny. Come back to us.

I hope that everything is well. I'm starting to worry.

KATE said...

Where did you go at?

crystal said...

A-a-a-a-a-a-a-my! Come out, come out, wherever you ARE!!! I miss you.

KATE said...

Missin ya!

Brooke said...

Starting to wonder if you are ever going to blog again! What is up?

KATE said...

still missin ya!!!!!

Bridget said...

Come back!!!! You have so many fans who are lamenting your loss in the blogging world. Just check in and let us know you are ok.

Wendi said...

Linked over from Crystal. I always read your funny comments to her, and I was curious.

Love the little kitchen pictures. I need a little girl again. (Mine's 8 and not into that anymore. Boo hoo.) Anyway, it's darling.

crystal said...

Amy! I'm worried! I'm sure you are just busy or taking care of life's important people, but I'm hoping you're not sick or that something's not REALLY wrong. Sometimes we all need to just pull the covers over our head, figuratively speaking.

Just want you to know I'm thinking of you & hoping you're ok.

KATE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KATE said...

Hey Amy I just wanted to stop by & say that I changed my blog address

it's now
ourcrazylifewithkids.blogspot.com
& the recipe blog is at
bigfatmommyrecipes.blogspot.com

Love ya & hope all is well!!!
- Kate

Cecily R said...

Hey, where the flippity flip are you????

Hollyween said...

Hey you, where did you go? I think we're all sort of worried thinking you fell off the face of the earth and all. You should check in and let us know if you're okay!!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.